Pages

We had a wonderful Christmas and made it to every function in one piece even though the roads are still incredibly slick and slippery. The city of Portland will not be sanding, plowing, or making any attempt to clear the side roads so as soon as you enter a neighborhood you are taking the risk of hitting parked cars, curbs, snowmen, or idiots who think shoveling or walking in the middle of the street while a sliding car is coming towards them is a good idea. I understand that our city is ill-equipt to deal with this weather but my frustration level is rising as the days go by. I'm so tense when I'm in a car that I am sure I'm going to develop ulcers if this goes on much longer. I am praying the rain from today and forecasted for tomorrow will make a big dent in the left over snow. If not I'm going to have to purchase a few bags of rock salt and salt my street and the street to the vineyard. At this point they are still scary and I need to drive on them. Gretta the Jetta is still sitting in the driveway and I'm not taking her anywhere until it's completely safe. I think Scott is tried of driving and sharing the Blazer with me. Even worse than that is his contempt for my jittery passenger act. I can't help it, but I grab for the "oh shit" handle for the slightest thing and that makes him nervous and then he gets mad at me. Seriously, snow must go or he may divorce me!

We saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button today. I am not a fan of Brad Pitt and his baby collecting wife/girlfriend/partner, but the movie was great. I find that the older I get the more I appreciate movies and books that are beautiful. Beautiful in the non-conventional ways. Sure Mr. Pitt is extremely attractive so watching him in a movie isn't hard, but this move was beautiful is special ways. It was magical and sweet, nostalgic and kind. There were lessons to be learned but not preached. I cried like a baby though most of it. Scott and Charity laughed at me later, but I don't mind. Movies that make me feel make me happy. Even if that feeling was sadness at times. Things that truly touch you are special.

We've received news of a few more pregnancies in the last two weeks. I swear there must be something in the water. Now if only I knew where to get the water!! I'm working on my happy face so that when news is given to me in person I can respond appropriately. I'm trying really hard not to be bitter. I should be thankful that Scott and I are healthy.

In some sad news, Scott's business partner and long time friend has had a relapse with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We thought he'd beat the beast but it appears to be back and he has already started treatments. We aren't nearly as close with Greg and Shanna as we used to be, but they are forever a part of our lives and despite the different directions our lives have taken I will always consider them like family. We've known them so long, been through so much and the boys really grew to be men together, having been friends for so many years. I hope that his treatments are fast and furious this round. Cancer is such a bitch. Nothing pretty or nice about it. If only you could do something to make it feel better. If only there was something you could say to take it away. I find myself not able to find the right words when I do talk to Greg. I speak with him so little I feel like I should be able to come up with something that fits right, and yet, I am pretty sure there is nothing I can say or do that will be of any help. I can't imagine what they are going though now. Things like this make me question the existence of God. I don't give up all hope, because I've seen enough and know enough to understand that some higher power guides this world, I'd just like to know why he sees fit to "give" Greg this disease. Boggles my mind and probably means that I need more reflection on the topic. I will pray for Greg and I'd like to ask that anyone who reads this does the same. Doesn't matter who your God is. Good thoughts and vibes translate into good things, of that I am sure.

That's all for now, time to relax and enjoy the evening on the couch.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I wish I could have share it with each and every one of you.

1 comment:

tina bean said...

i saw benjamin button tonight and immediately returned home to blog it out. and then i found you had done the same thing. my experience in the theater was much like yours. approximately 2.5 hours of hot tears during a 3 hour film. there aren't words.

i think it's a little spooky how similarly we responded to the film and how much we agree on brad as a person. his musculature makes me feel heterosexaul but his wife makes me feel asexual. i'm not sure i want to wear either hat, though i'd like to give the biceps a good squeeze.

as for scott's business partner and difficulty finding the right words, just look for what is honest. americans have a bad habit of using language to appease. you probably don't want to find something to say that will make him feel better more than you want to make yourself feel better. it won't happen. unless it is honest.

i'm watching my grandfather deteriorate from a blood cancer. but we learned from brad pitt that nothing stays the same, especially not our strength which grows exponentially to help us endure.