Pages

A book worth reading/I was a dweeb in middle school/And the psychic says!

I couldn't decide on one blog title so I went with all three...

1) A book worth reading - The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff. Perhaps it's the nostalgia surrounding a home town, perhaps it the mystery of a family secret, perhaps it's the monster that washes up in the lake...perhaps it's the whole package...I LOVE this book. I'm not done with it, I don't want to be done with it. It's one of those books I'd like to go on forever and ever. It's so good it make me want to write and tell a story and it's been a while since I tried that. Check it out. I'd say it could fall under the theme of Chick Lit, but it has a broader appeal than that.

2) A friend of mine started a group on Facebook for our graduating class from middle school which prompted me to drag out my Rolling Hills Middle School gym bag (yes I still have it) which was filled with my diaries, notes between friends and a year book. In reading the diaries and some of the notes I have come to the conclusion that I was a total dweeb. I was also boy crazy, hormonal, downright silly and sometimes even a little profound. It's been quite the entertaining escapade. Just reading some of the things out loud makes me cringe for little eleven year old self. I'm quite certain I must have made a fool of myself on many occasions. I take a little solace knowing we were all a little off our rocker and still learning social graces. I tell you what though, the diary of a preteen/teen girl is a strange place...in detail descriptions of my love for various members of New Kids on the Block and the celebration of their birthdays, my total infatuation with boys in my class and my dramatic confessions of love. Wowza!

3) I did go see the psychic last weekend. I try not to take it too seriously, it's meant to be in fun and hopefully she can tell me things that will come true. This is the first time I've ever been to see a real psychic that didn't involve a party of some sort. I will say that she was very adamant about somethings and knew things I hadn't told her. Things that you don't just guess about someone. I don't want to say too much here about it, because some it was pretty private stuff, but I will say that she has given me some hope on a few things, though it's cautious hope. I know I can't put all my faith in something a psychic says. But it was a little freaky that she knew I was too sensitive and take on too much, that I feel like I need more art or a better creative outlet in my life, and that my father was an alcoholic. All of this without being prompted me at all. Time will only tell if she's called anything right. I am crossing my fingers :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin, Glad you liked The Monsters of Templeton! Lauren Groff will be at Powell's in Portland on February 4 to launch her first story collection, Delicate Edible Birds. If you'd like an advance copy to review, email me at allison.mcgeehon@abc.com. (I didn't see your email address listed on your blog.)

leeann & tina said...

i was a monster of templeton.

i know this sounds kind of like crystals and incense hippie babble, but i really think you should meditate on the feeling of pregnancy. i take a minute out of each day to send my energy towards your innards. it might be difficult to trust a psychic so just trust yourself. trust your awesomeness. trust the image of your tiny little alien baby growing. if that doesn't sound like fun you can always roll in the mud and ask mother earth to bless you with a life seed.