Pages

Book Review: The Writing Circle

We interrupt this blog for a quick review: A year or so ago I was sent a few books from a publisher who had seen another review I did. I still get books from time to time and I'm going to make more of an effort to review them and share them with everyone. Books are great! We should all get to read them all the time!

I love the feel of a hard cover book. It's weight makes me feel like it has something important to say. It's cover makes me feel like is has something to protect. The crack of the binding when it's first opened is like a secret, a special sound to listen for. The pages are thick, they want to be touched. They are a work or art for me. Generally I can say that I love every book. Books are like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's not that bad.

The last book I read falls into that category. I really, really wanted to like this book. The cover was appealing. The title, even as simple as it is, was intriguing. The idea of it seemed like a good one to me. I opened it with an open mind, but had to make myself read it. Very unusual for me.

I read rather quickly so you know there is something wrong when it takes me more than a week to get through a book of this size.

The Writing Circle by Corinne Demas was a good idea. In fact I think it should be pursued again. A room full of characters and their drama would be rather entertaining, one would think. Unfortunately I didn't find that to be the case with these characters. I didn't really feel there were any that were really relate-able or sympathetic. Dang it, I really wanted to like some of them. There was one, Nancy who was close, well okay I liked her a little. I really wanted to read the book she was writing!

Anyway, I found the book to be a little spastic, a little loose. The end was wrapped up very quickly and ended with a bang that didn't make any sense. Some might call it sensational or surprising? I thought it was unnecessary. Also in the unnecessary category were the sex scenes. So not needed in this type of book. So awkward. And yes, I am a total prude. I'm willing to admit that. But this was still gratuitous and odd. Certainly held some ick factor.

I think, that had any of the characters been a little more relate-able, or if we'd gotten to spend more time with just one (there were a lot of members in this circle and the book isn't all that long so you don't get too in depth with any of them) there could have some hope for the story. I do appreciate what the author was trying to do. I think. I'm still confused by the ending, which leave me a little angry at the book itself and I hate that feeling. As it is, I wouldn't recommend this book, which breaks my heart because I want to LOVE all books.

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy to read and review.



No comments: