Pages

For your piehole!

Mini Pies!

They were actually very easy and I was surprised to find out that making my own pie crust wasn't all that difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's not easy but I thought it was going to much more troublesome than it ended up being. The hardest part was keeping the butter cold while I cubed it.

So as promised here are some pictures of the pies and the process to make them. If you want to try them yourself HERE is the tutorial I used.





These are my little mason jars filled with the pie crust. I used Paula Deen's recipe. Anything with that much butter and shortening in it has got to bake up brilliantly. If you want the recipe go HERE


Filled with apple goodness!


And cherries too!

And then there's the top crust...

Almost ready to top off and freeze!

And then you pull them out of the freezer and bake them....and they look like this!

Adorable right? You can't stand it right? They are going to get even more adorable (like it's even possible!) when I put the little tags on them with baking instructions.

So in the end, they are adorable and they taste pretty darn good. The apples could have used a bit more sugar and cinnamon but they still taste good. The crust is A-MAZ-ING! I knew Paula wouldn't let me down. I'm going to make pear pies tomorrow after work. This is my new favorite thing to make.


In other news, I ran two miles this weekend at a really good pace and felt really good after. My new running shoes are fab and make my feet oh so happy. I'd forgotten that shoes really do make a difference.

This weekend also included a trip to the vet as Miss Olivia had a little impacted gland in her rear. Yes it's gross. Yes it usually is something you don't even have to think about, but old dogs tend to have more issues....anyway, the groomer suggested I get her to the vet as she seemed to be in some pain. They were able to clear her glands but also found a mass. They took a sample and have sent it off to the lab for more info. It's possible it's cancerous. It's possible it's just scar tissue. Either way it was upsetting. Just to have to think about it. Livy is my baby even if she's a grumpy old lady. We should hear more about the tests on Wednesday or Thursday. Cross your fingers or say a prayer please.

Thankfully I have a freezer full of pies if we need a little extra comfort food...



No comments: